Sunday, June 10, 2007

I'm glad that ain't me

So, my projections about law review have been coming true. My posts during the law review writeon were simply for people to stop doing the law review competition as a resume padding tool and do the writeon only if they were seriously interested in being involved with an academically-geared journal.

But I have many friends who were in the former category and unfortunately did the writeon competition and some of them (un)luckily made it on. And guess when they got their first citechecking assignments? The next morning after the end of finals, of course. More than one of my law review friends are are currently complaining about the crappy citechecking they are doing that is taking up all their time. (One already has wanted to quit, except law review makes it very difficult for people to quit and he/she will suck it up at least until the end of firm recruiting season.) Even the ones who are not in L.A. for the summer get assignments as well, and have to go to a local law school and do the citechecking there.

Meanwhile, instead of doing the writeon during spring break, I spent it surfing and skiing. And instead of citechecking now, I'm currently having a pretty good summer socially and workwise. Grades have been coming in slowly, and I'm pretty satisfied with the ones I've gotten so far.

Choices have consequences, and if you signed up to do something you're not interested in, guess what? You're not going to have a very good time.

4 Comments:

Blogger angela said...

And that is exactly why, despite the *prestige* of doing something like law review, I don't do it. I hated LRW, I hate citechecking, and pretty much everything having to do with legal journal work, which is why I didn't go for it although many of my friends tried to convince me to do so.

I ♥ my free time.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Nomadic said...

In as much as I agree with both of you (and jetted LR into the trash)...I still think the following adage applies "don't kick a dog when it is down."

Life sucks for LR people, let's not throw it in their faces!

11:24 AM  
Blogger M.T. said...

Very good point.

I am incredibly glad that I quit our LR competition. As far as I can tell, it will only hurt my odds of a clerkship, and I'm not really interested in that anyway, so Win-Win.

2:15 PM  
Blogger The Fox said...

MdR-
I understand, but I just saw Ocean's 13, and your comment reminded me of a quote from the movie: "Who am I? I'm just a nobody." What does big bad law review have to fear from a mere fox like myself?

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home