Saturday, May 12, 2007

3 down, 1 to go

For all intents and purposes, I am done with my exams. I still have a lawyering skills exam worth less than 25% of my grade on Monday, but it feels good to be done. Walking out of my exam on Thursday was probably one of the best feelings of my life, second only to the way I felt after drinking myself silly Thursday night. Two more days, and I will no longer be a 1L. A new crop of newbies, including SB, will be replacing us come August, as we mature into wise 2Ls.

What is really funny is how we've all become in many ways a defeated version of our old selves. For most of us, we got the best grades in high school. And we went on to college where we did pretty well. Then we scored in the 90th percentile on the LSAT and came to a pretty good law school. But law school has transformed many of us into people who are now content to be average. Going through this finals period, I cannot count how many times formerly proud people have said, "I'll do anything just to get a B" or "As long as I don't get a C, I'll be a happy camper." Oh, how the mighty have fallen as a result of this thing called law school.

One of the wise and learned classmates here recently said it best: "The secret to life is to have low expectations--in school, in friends, and in girls. That way, you never get disappointed and sometimes get pleasantly surprised."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home