Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Reader feedback

I’ve received some email comments regarding my previous post. Here is a good one from a female reader (edited for brevity):

I read your post with a degree of loathing but also with a great deal of respect that you touch on this issue…I’ve been to Brazil, where women prance around in skimpy bathing suits on the beach and are much more sexually aggressive towards men…basically the situation you advocate. But I don’t think that such openness is necessarily a good thing. I’m glad you recognize that the U.S. is fundamentally a country with puritan roots, and I don’t believe that it ever will change, nor is such sexual openness something that we should advocate.

[name redacted]



I guess that we simply see things differently. But I do fundamentally disagree with you on one point. I think that U.S. society is changing, and there’s nothing you can do to stop it. All forecasts show that perhaps in a decade, the “majority” racial class will become the “minority.” In Southern California already, the “majority” has already become the “minority” and soon the entire state of California, Caucasians will be outnumbered by people with skin color darker than them. This demographic change is unavoidable, and to think that our values will not shift as a result is plain naïve.

I grew up in upper-middle class suburbia an hour’s drive from a city. I won’t say that my neighborhood was racist, but it definitely did not promote racial equity. I heard negative things said about the minorities who lived in the city proper. African-American women, I heard, were sexually aggressive and slept around too much. Latino women, I heard, developed too rapidly and needed to cover up and show some modesty. [NOTE: I do not agree with the views represented, and am repeating what was told to me.] With minorities gaining more prominence, it would be unreasonable to assume that our quaint conservative Catholic school values will hold.

My response in short to reader: you and I have different beliefs regarding values, and we'll agree to disagree. But do please recognize that, like it or not, traditional values are a-changing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home