Monday, November 26, 2007

Ups and downs

Having gone through the OCIP process, I realized how the entire hiring process can be a crapshoot. Sometimes you just click with an interviewer and other times, you don't. Little things you do or ways you respond to questions perhaps rub the interviewer the wrong way, and you get rejected. What constitutes "I like him" or "I don't like him" vary from interviewer to interviewer, even from the same firm.

What firms don't fully realize is that little things a firm does or does not do can rub the interviewee the wrong way, and my opinion can change drastically about a firm based on a limited interaction with them.

Here is my list of 3 firms that went up and 3 firms that went down in my head.

UP:
Reed Smith: Best food in their hospitality suite.
Quinn: Two gorgeous interviewers (male and female) both looked like the walked out of a GQ and Vogue cover, respectively.
White & Case: $20 Starbucks cards.

DOWN:
MoFo: Almost sad how they tried too hard to be different-- chocolate fountain, T-shirts, the "Mojo of MoFo" slogan. Everyone knows anyway that Orrick is the new MoFo.
Jones Day: I know that they rejected some people via phone. Not cool.
Sidley: Had 3 different sets of interviewers and no one could tell me where I was supposed to go. I declined my callback invitation due to their disorganization.

Note: I don't have an agenda against or for any particular firm. I am also only posting this now, as 2Ls have all but done their acceptances, so my views of firms will not affect whether offerees accept or decline.

EDIT: I've been getting a lot of hits from Cleveland, the hometown of and from the IP addresses of a certain firm on my down list:

2 Comments:

Blogger Tom Floss said...

Wow. You named names. Aren't you worried?

7:29 PM  
Blogger The Fox said...

Why would I be? I'm not working for any of the six firms I named. Plus, if firms really care about what little ol' me thinks of them, they've got big insecurity issues.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home