Monday, January 01, 2007

Scenes from winter break

On an airplane:
I was stuck at the Denver airport for a while, and the airline tried to make it up to me by bumping me up to business class, i.e. I got to board faster than everyone else. What did I like the most about the upgrade? That I actually got legroom? A wide leather reclining seat? That they actually served me real food? The Bose noise-canceling earphones? The priority handling so I got my bags quicker than everyone else? None of the above.

The real joy to business class was the free alcohol. I've been cut off plenty of times in bars. I've been cut off at fraternity/sorority formals in college. I've even been cut off once at the Cheesecake Factory. But on the flight out of Denver, I experienced a first...I got cut off by a flight attendant.

--------------------

Before the flight in the waiting area:
(A lawyer is telling me how he is challenging jurisdiction, even though his client was served while present in state.)
Lawyer: I'm filing a motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction. Damn opposing counsel should know better than that.
Me: Um, I'm pretty sure that the jurisdiction was valid.
Lawyer: Believe me when I say it wasn't. I know the law.

(pause)
Me: I have this strange craving now for some burned ham.
Lawyer: Why would you want burned ham? What's that got to do with jurisdiction?


(5 minutes later, telling me about due process)
Lawyer: You know what's ironic about the abbreviation of due process?
Me: No, what?
Lawyer: You would think that DP would violate a woman's due process.
Me: I think having this conversation is violating my due process.


--------------------

I sit in business class next to a folksy grandmother. We talk and I tell her I am in law school, talk about winter break, blah blah. She proceeds to show me a picture of her granddaughter and give me the granddaughter's number.

Me: Um, thanks.
Grandmother: You should give her a call. You're such an upstanding young man.
Me: I'm glad at least one person thinks that way.


Believe it or not, it was not the first time a grandmother has tried to set me up with her granddaughter since law school has started. Maybe I should rename my blog Grandmothers Love Law Students.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Lioness said...

You'd have to rename it "Grandmothers Love Male Law Students" because my super-conservative grandmother still thinks that my decision to go to law school was awful and has branded me unmarriageable.

Here's a quote from an e-mail she sent me back in May, trying to dissuade me: "a woman with too much education is like an affront to a man's masculinity. Why would he marry an attorney when he could marry a teacher or a nurse instead? He knows she won't correct him when he says things that are wrong, cause she doesn't know they're wrong herself. And there's no chance that she will ever make more money than him. That's the way things should be."

12:25 PM  
Blogger angela said...

That lawyer sounds like a douche. And LMAO @ Lioness's comment. I've had people tell me the same thing, but my grandma wasn't one of them.

3:10 PM  
Blogger The Fox said...

My grandmother once told my sister not to go to college and "stay at home and pop out babies."

8:12 PM  
Blogger Lily Graypure said...

Yeah, I agree with the Lioness. Grandmothers are not into lawyer granddaughters in law.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home