Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The reasons

After thinking it through, I think I have narrowed down the three reasons why my current relationship status is "It's complicated."

1. I've never had much trouble before law school in the relationship department but I never was the alpha male either. But the self-selection of the guys who go to law school has suddenly eliminated many of the alphas. Gone are: 1. guys who, while cute and funny, (to put it kindly) do not have the intellectual stamina for law school, 2. the varsity athletes in college who have now gone on to professional sports, 3. the other charismatic ones who go into the entertainment industry, and 4. the trust fund babies who don't need to go to school any more. And given the lack of social skills of many law students, my ability to make conversation, be (mildly) funny, and my in general being fun to be around is suddenly at a much higher premium than it was before.

2. Apparently, solely based on my status as a law student, re: the general public, I'm now what nice, doting grandmothers would consider a "good catch." (A grandma sitting next to me on the bus seriously tried to set me up with her granddaughter) So, in relation to the general public and the many cute undergrads here, law students (like med students) are a more prized commodity. Girls who wouldn't give this regular, white, middle-class, recovering frat guy the time of day before suddenly pay more attention, especially in light of (1).

3. For various reasons and also based on my recent history, I'm relationship adverse, at least in the traditional 'boy meets girl, boy dates girl, boy marries girl' sense.

So, hence my situation.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Lioness said...

That doesn't explain your situation. That just explains why you want to keep slutting it up instead of chilling with whatever girl likely made it "complicated" in the first place. And that's fine. But don't pawn it off on other reasons. Call a spade a spade. The reason it's "complicated" is because it's too hard to turn down the best opportunities you'll probably ever have in your life to get laid by scores of hot young women.

11:43 AM  
Blogger The Fox said...

That doesn't quite exactly explain it, but you're pretty close.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home