Monday, October 23, 2006

Bring me some chicken soup


In law school, people spend lots of time around everyone else, cooped up in the same classes in the same building. The inevitable is sure to come around to everyone..the infamous law school bug. That's when everyone in the school gets sick at the same time.

The bug is striking me now, even though I haven't made out with anyone at the law school (at least not recently). I guess sitting within a 10-foot radius of people sneezing and coughing 1Ls will strike even the heartiest of individuals, including The Fox.

I just got back from student health (The Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center if you want to be formal). I had heard stories from friends about how the doctors there were "inquisitive" and I got to experience it first hand today. (A female 1L had a skin infection and was asked if she was pregnant and another 1L girl went for a sprained ankle and was asked is she had unprotected sex recently.)

I tell the doctor that I'm coughing and that I have a sore throat. He proceeds to ask me about my sexual history and then give me a hernia test. I personally don't mind telling people about my past or have someone grope the family jewels, but I really don't see the point about how my cough could be associated in any way with having a tear in my abdominal wall or how it could be associated with my romantic conquests, but hey, whatever floats your boat Doc. I guess this is what I get for my $500/semester graduate student health insurance.

The doctor prescribes me some medicine, and I fill it in at the in-house pharmacy. There is a huge line and I wait a while. The girl in front of me reaches the counter and says in a hushed voice: "I need a refill on my birth control." I guess she was trying to be modest, but I found this amusing, since a) you're talking to The Fox, who has few limits, b) I'm never going to see this girl again, and c) I just want my drugs and get out of there.

I'm heating up some chicken soup now, and will be taking a nap the rest of the afternoon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lily Graypure said...

Haha, you mean you got through undergrad without hearing about the Hell that is on-campus health clinics for female students? Everytime you set foot in the door, they ask you if it's possible that you're pregnant. If you're me, you scowl and you say bitterly "Nope," before before they even hit the third syllable of "possible."

Anyway, feel better.

3:32 PM  
Blogger The Fox said...

Lily, you would know better than me about what happens on the female end.

But at my semi-normal undergrad health center, (at least for guys)a cough required me to stick out my tongue rather than pulling down my pants.

5:46 PM  
Blogger buffalodawg said...

You pay $500 for the health center. That is absurd. That is 1/10 of my total tuition and fee bill at UGA. I guess you pay for the nice weather in other ways. Then again, you may be paying extra for the hernia test precaution at every appointment

7:33 PM  
Blogger The Fox said...

I never said Cali was cheap.

In state tuition $25K, out of state is $35K. 5 years ago in state was only $10, but the state has been reducing its funding for the UC system as a whole and hence the astronomical rise in $. Add in a pretty high standard of living, and that's a whole lot of dinero.

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home