Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Child's play

One observation from OCIP: just how much of a joke law firm interviews are.

Having started the callback process, I'm absolutely amazed at the amount of fluff that occurs in interviews. During screening interviews and callback interviews, we law students are expected to talk about ourselves for 20-30 minutes at a time. No offense, but the stock-boy job I had when I was 16 made me go through a tougher interview process than this.

Even during callbacks, we're expected to talk about ourselves and repeat the same pitch multiple times to different people. (Granted, we're expected to ask the interviewer the same five stock questions towards the end of the interview). And as a result of talking about ourselves for 3 hours, we're effectively handed a six-figure job.

Come on, I'm an aspiring lawyer--of course, I can talk about myself. Easiest job I've ever had to interview for.

1 Comments:

Blogger Butterflyfish said...

Remember though, very little you say could jeopardize that job offer if you're at the right school with the right class rank and you don't smell bad.

You could test this theory on a firm you're not keen on working for ... I'll leave it to you to think of ways to be inapproriate during a callabck

4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home