Thursday, September 06, 2007

All things to all people

So, I've had a request for anecdotes. It is currently is the recruiting season, and all of my posts will deal with recruiting and going back and forth between the school and the Guest House. But in two days of recruiting so far, I'm already sick and tired of the process.

Two true interview stories:
Interview (a): large firm, young male junior associate. First time at UCLA. Sees lots of good-looking undergrad girls walking about campus. I was his first interview of the day. He starts off telling me about the hot UCLA undergrads he's seen. We proceed to spend most of my 20-minute time slot talking about college girls. How this relates to my abilities as a summer associate, I'm not sure.

Interview (b): large firm, bookish senior associate. Comes out that I wrote a paper on James Joyce in college. Proceed to spend the rest of the interview talking about Joyce and the rest of the writers of that era. How this relates to my abilities as a summer associate, I'm not sure.

And I got callbacks from both these firms.

What this tells about me (and the interview process):
1. I'm simply a renaissance man I guess, being able to talk intelligibly about college sorority girls and modern American writers within a 1-hour period.
--OR--
2. I'm a good BSer and schmoozer, and this ability is the key to getting callbacks (once you've met their GPA requirement, of course).

3 Comments:

Blogger pseudostoops said...

Definitely (2). I had one interviewer ask if he could call me "Muffy" (unrelated to my real name) during the interview, then proceed to talk to "Muffy" about recent movie releases for 20 minutes. When I didn't take a job with that firm, he told me he was really disappointed because I would have been "a perfect fit." How he knew that is a mystery.

5:28 AM  
Blogger nicolle said...

the less your interview has to do with the law, the more likely you are to get a callback. that was my experience last year in 2L OCI.

8:04 AM  
Blogger LawSchoolBlogger said...

Not definitely 2. A combination, for sure.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home