Sunday, September 16, 2007

Question

During recruiting season, there is much talk about the preferred firms. Indeed, there was a piece written about which firms are the "hot" firms this year.

The piece (written by a east coast blogger) profiles the east coast firms hot among this year's law students. None of the firms in the piece are remotely close to being popular destinations for west coast students.

With the exception of one.

Which brings me to my question...why do law students cream their interview suits over Latham?

I interviewed with them (they had 10 full schedules here at school), but did not find anything special about it vis a vis other firms. I still don't get why L&W is so desired. Feel free to comment or email me to explain the Latham fetish.

And in case people can't articulate a good reason other than "I heard it is nice," it just shows the arbitrariness we law students use in evaluating firms.

UPDATE: The only response I got was that the firm has a laid-back reputation (compared with its peer firms) and that it has nice people. Personally, not very impressive reasons.

2 Comments:

Blogger LawSchoolBlogger said...

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know the phrase s "cream their interview suits" makes me very unconfortable.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Paragon2Pieces said...

I've heard folks talk about profits per partner but I'm not confident that the folks in question had any idea what they were talking about.

So far as my own interview experience with Latham, I interviewed in their office and really liked all of the interviewers but I think this can happen at any firm. Maybe their recruiting coordinators just do a better job at matching interviewers with interviewees.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home