Sunday, August 05, 2007

What matters

I did a little road trip recently with some college friends who also happen to attend law school. We are driving through some little town in one of them midwestern states. Don't remember exactly where.

We stop off at this diner. Start conversation with a trucker. He asks us where we all go to law school.
Me: UCLA
Friend 1: Notre Dame
Friend 2: University of Chicago
Trucker: Wow, you two must be really smart [pointing at me and Friend 1]. Bruins and Irish. You two are really going somewhere. [Friend 2 is conspicuously left out]

Lesson of the day: it doesn't matter how many Nobel prize winners your school has (UChicago: about a billion). The quality of the football and basketball is what matters.

On with the road trip.

4 Comments:

Blogger A. Marigold said...

Whew. I thought it was only my parents who thought UCLA was a good school. I am glad truckers in the Midwest think so too.

9:57 PM  
Blogger nicolle said...

hahaha...i laugh, because i know the feeling. i went to UChicago undergrad...and when i decided to there, i got one of two responses from almost everyone at my high school and in my town, many adults and teachers included:

--uhhhh...is that a state school?
--you turned down MIT to go where?

i would just laugh.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I think I just left that state.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Dad said...

Unfortunately to the Joe Six-pack's of the world that is all that matters.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home