Friday, March 02, 2007

More shallowness

I was at a UCLA law firm diversity reception recently, even though I am not diverse. But neither were probably the majority of the students there. There were about 40 large firms there to show their support for diversity in the workplace. I was talking with some people from a law firm, and one of the career services people butts in to introduce a 3L on law review. Never have I felt so inadequate when everyone stopped talking to me, and focused their attention solely on the law reviewer. Law firms might be shallow, but the real question is what a 3L on law review is still doing trying to find a job as a 2nd semester 3L.

A unnamed New York-based large firm today also tried to bribe their way into our hearts. In our mailboxes were chocolate bars, with a customized wrapper that merely said "[Firm name] Summer 2008" in big red letters. If a law firm thinks that I can be bribed with mere chocolate and stationary (which I picked up some more of yesterday at the diversity reception), they are some smart people. No wonder they make the big bucks.

3 Comments:

Blogger M.T. said...

If the firm name sounds like something out of Monopoly, then we got the same ones at Cornell. =)

6:39 AM  
Blogger Paragon2Pieces said...

we got 'em at Texas as well

11:04 AM  
Blogger The Lioness said...

Ditto. Too bad I only like dark chocolate.

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home