Saturday, November 18, 2006

My final post on tasers

Extreme right reaction to the taser incident: U.C.L.A. Security Set-Up By Agitators

Come on, are there people who actually believe that this incident was set up by the huge, vast "liberal conspiracy"? That there was video because the incident was set up in advance (along with the other two video incidents in LA this week) and not because of the proliferation of video cellphones? That the incident was reported in the papers because newspapers are bastions of the liberal conspiracy and not because taser incidents are big news on college campuses? Why do some people automatically construe events based on political ideologies?

Beside the ridiculous, the belief that this whole event was staged rests on a huge major logical fallacy. To assume that the incident was staged also requires assuming that the police behavior could have been predicted by "the planners." Except the whole reaction by most of campus was based on what people view of as an extreme (and thus unpredictable) act by the police.

There is an ex-police officer in the 1L class. His view is this: that both sides messed up. The student was being a jerk, and he should have cooperated. The police overreacted because you don't stun someone who is refusing/can't get up. Tasers are used to subdue, rather than to compel. If four officers can't pick a student up off the floor, you call for backup. The word he used was that both sides were being "boneheads."

4 Comments:

Blogger CM said...

Does it matter? Even it it were some sort of bizarre setup from cop-haters who were PRAYING the officers would have a disproportionately violent reaction, the fact is that they hurt a student who it was their job to protect, and who wasn't threatening anyone.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Hellfireblogs said...

Extreme Right? Moi?
Your misrepresnting my post, I'm not saying there's a "liberal" conspiracy, but that A.N.S.W.E.R., C.A.I.R. and groups like it spawn "activists" who create controversy to prove their point. I don't believe these groups are Liberal by the way.
My opinion is based on my dirty little secret, in college I was in the Improve troop! We did Guerrilla theater, and preicted the behavior of our marks quite well, thank you. That kid's performance was clearly theater, and worse, it was hacky.
The police have a force escalation policy, which is very public, which states that officers can utilise force one step beyond what a suspect is resisting with to get them under control. Verbally refusing the requests of a police officer will always lead to the officer using physical force. Maybe that kid didn't think he'd get tased, but he knew that the cops were going to lay a heavy hand on him.
Maybe being surrounded by rich white "radicals" he developed a sense of entitlement that made him believe he could act like an insane person and there'd be no consequeces, but my point is that C.A.I.R. and others were on this story awful quick, ahead of America's vaunted news cycle, that's suspicious.
And my post was also about old school discipline. I myself don't let security guards talk to me all knids of ways, but I also know that if I want a fight, I'll get one. Kids these days think you can jump up, yell and scream in some dudes face and not get their asses kicked, and that saddens me.
I'd respect him more if, like my generation, he came out the next day and said, with a smile, "Yeah, they kicked my ass, but I proved my point" instead of "I'm sueing, America sucks, Hold me I need you warmth"
Disgusting!
www.red-alerts.com

12:42 PM  
Blogger The Fox said...

Your comment was so eloquent and perfect that I won't even respond, as it speaks for itself.

I will leave it up to the public to decide just who the more reasonable and trustworthy guy is.

2:01 PM  
Blogger velvethammer said...

Maybe being surrounded by rich white "radicals" he developed a sense of entitlement that made him believe he could act like an insane person and there'd be no consequeces, but my point is that C.A.I.R. and others were on this story awful quick, ahead of America's vaunted news cycle, that's suspicious.

Excactly! Pre-planned? Very possibly so. All of this PC BS at the very least is an enabler.Last I heard he is also suing on the grounds of discrimination as a disabled person, since he is bi-polar. Not a visible handicap.

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home