Friday, January 19, 2007

I'm still here

Second semester has rolled around, and a few people at school have decided that law school is not for them. And at least two fellow bloggers have decided not to become lawyers either. As I wrote about previously, good for them.

I have a lot more respect for people who realize that something is not for them than those who keep doing something that they don't like. I'm talking about more than just law school, about life in general. I have tremendous respect for people who decide that law school blows and that they will be happier doing something else. I also have tremendous respect for lawyers who, six months into a job, decide that corporate law is not for them and become public interest lawyers/poets/restaurant owners/etc. People who continue doing something based on societal or family pressures or based purely on monetary reasons compromise something of themselves far more important than the [whatever reasons they have for continuing to do something they don't enjoy].

I won't say that I enjoy law school, but I don't hate it. As a former English major and not a science or business major, I see the world in shades of gray without clearcut lines or answers. And intellectually, at least, law offers me the maybe and not just yes or no. (That's probably why my B- last semester was in the class where the final exam was multiple choice.)

Anyway, good luck LSV and LTF. You've earned my respect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home